An abandoned 75,000-s.f. former trolley station below the streets of Dupont Circle in Washington DC could soon reopen. The nonprofit Arts Coalition for the Dupont Underground (ACDU) announced recently that it has signed a 66-month lease with the District of Columbia’s Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development. The intent is activate the space through art- and design-related events, public performances and other gatherings, as well as temporary commercial uses. The ACDU will also be working on long-term plans to permanently redevelop all 75,000 square feet as a mixed-use cultural destination. The tunnels, built along with the Connecticut Avenue underpass, opened in 1949 and closed in 1963, when the city’s streetcar system was shut down. Other than designation as a fallout shelter in the late 1960s and hosting a short-lived food court on the west platform in the mid-1990s, the space — which the group calls the the Dupont Underground — has remained empty.